Select Page
Ancient Remedies for Modern Lives
By Megan Berg, Admissions Counselor at Emperor’s College

As an admissions counselor for the master’s of traditional Oriental medicine program at Emperor’s College, I listen to people’s excitement, curiosity and fears about going to acupuncture school. Pursuing a career in acupuncture and Oriental medicine offers the meaningful and holistic path to success many prospective students have long been searching for; but apprehension about time commitment, money and unconventionality can hold people back from starting their dream profession.

Well, for anyone who is still on the fence, here are 10 reasons from Emperor’s College students and alumni about why they’re glad they went to acupuncture school.

Reason #1

“The long road of knowledge that stretches ahead of me. The end of school was only the beginning of a lifetime of learning.” ~Dana Garcetti Boldt, LAc

10 Reasons I’m Glad I Went to Acupuncture School

Dana Garcetti Boldt, LAc (MTOM, class of 2007)

About Alumna Dana Garcetti Boldt, LAc: Before embarking on Chinese medicine in 2003, Dana’s first career was in law, where she served as Deputy District Attorney with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office for more than 5 years. While an attorney, she taught yoga to police officers, judges and other lawyers. After the birth of twin boys, she decided to turn her passion for helping others and promoting healthy living into a profession. Find Dana Garcetti Boldt at www.westwoodacupuncturist.com

Reason #2

“For me, attending acupuncture school has affirmed the notion that one should follow one’s heart.  Cultivation of passion may be the best work a person can do.  Having passion for what one does is attractive, contagious, and necessary for the hard work required to succeed.” ~Bob Bush

Bob Bush, 1st year student at Emperor’s College

About Bob Bush: Bob Bush is a first year student in the master’s of Traditional Oriental Medicine program. He has always been passionate about health and wellness, maintaining a successful career as a personal trainer and massage therapist. Bob worked at Colorado Ballet as the company therapist and is the owner and founder of Ghisallo Massage.

Reason #3

“Acupuncture school introduced me to the academic side of my self. I never had such an inspiring experience in a classroom until I began studying Chinese medicine.  From acupuncture, herbs, diet, exercise and meditation…the branches are abundant.” ~Gaylian Hein

Gaylian Hein, 3rd year student at Emperor’s College

About Gaylian Hein: Before deciding to begin acupuncture school, Gaylian worked as a massage therapist for more than 8 years. Gaylian prepared for her entry into the master’s program by resuming her undergraduate studies. Her determination served her well, and she is now in her 3rd year of acupuncture school at Emperor’s College.

Reason #4

“People are always going to seek out ways to be healthier and as natural medicine continues to grow, I know I will always have a job to do.” ~Desmoine Boyd

Desmoine Boyd, 3rd year student at Emperor’s College

About Desmoine Boyd: Desmoine is a 3rd year student in the master’s of traditional Oriental medicine program. In 2010 he left a career in teaching and youth leadership in Virginia and relocated to Los Angeles to pursue his passion for nutrition, healthy living and natural medicine at Emperor’s College.

Reason #5

“Growing up in a Korean family, I am now able to understand and fully appreciate the remedies and wisdom my family has been using for generations. I love that I am part of a medicine that is becoming recognized as being much more than just an ancient remedy, but a viable solution to improving our healthcare system.” ~Sallie Hong

Sallie Hong, 3rd year student at Emperor’s College

About Sallie Hong: Sallie is a 3rd year student in the master’s of traditional Oriental medicine program, and began her graduate studies in 2010 immediately following her undergraduate degree where she received a BS in Microbiology and a minor in Chemistry from San Jose State University.

Reason #6

“I get to do what I love. Being an acupuncturist and herbalist is a natural culmination of my passions: martial arts, Asian culture and helping others. I get to access all parts of who I am.” ~Jordan Hoffman, LAc

Jordan Hoffman, LAc (MTOM, class of 2006)

About Alumnus  Jordan Hoffman (MTOM 2006): Prior to beginning his master’s degree in Oriental medicine in 2002, Jordan received a BA in political science from University of California Santa Barbara, taught English in Japan for 4 years, and was a diligent student of martial arts. His pursuits in healthcare began with a three-and-a-half year career as a massage therapist. Find Jordan Hoffman at www.jordanhoffmanacupuncture.com

Reason #7

“This medicine has provided me with a skill set that allows me to work and earn good money in most countries of the world.” ~John Simmonds, LAc

John Simmonds, LAc (MTOM, class of 2008)

About Alumnus John Simmonds (MTOM 2008): John splits his time between a practice in Baltimore MD and a practice in Costa Rica with his partner Hilde Schirmer (also a 2008 graduate of Emperor’s College master’s program), and their baby daughter. Find John Simmonds at www.bmoreholistic.com

Reason #8

“As I move through my professional life, I realize how much satisfaction I get from utilizing my analytical and scientific mind, while also being creative and contributing to the betterment of other people. Acupuncture is the only job that accomplishes all three every day. It’s a dream. It also doesn’t hurt that I get to be my own boss, make my own schedule, set my workload and make good money (even according to LA standards).” ~Russell Brown, LAc

Russell Brown, LAc (MTOM, class of 2007)

About Alumnus Russell Brown (MTOM 2007): Some people call Russell Brown the “rockstar” of acupuncture. Take one look at his website www.pokeacupuncture.com, and you’ll know why. A successful career in film development preceded Russell’s journey in Oriental medicine, which he began at the age of 26. He has never looked back since.

Reason #9

“I am proud to be a practitioner that advocates for health and am so happy that I followed my heart to study this medicine. There were people who doubted the likelihood of me having a successful practice because Oriental medicine is not yet mainstream; let me assure you, they were wrong!” ~Kerri Myatt, LAc

Kerri Myatt, LAc (MTOM, class of 2010)

About Alumna Kerri Myatt (MTOM 2010): Kerri’s interest in mind-body health began at the University of California Berkeley, where she graduated cum laude with her bachelor’s degree in psychology. Soon thereafter she fell in love with Pilates and became a well-known instructor with a busy teaching schedule. In 2006, Kerri took her interest in health and well-being to the next level and began pursuing her master’s degree in traditional Oriental medicine at Emperor’s College. She now maintains a private practice in West Chester, PA and loves educating her community about the uses and benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Find Kerri Myatt at www.kerrimyattacupuncture.com

Reason #10

“Working as a Registered Nurse, I felt something was missing and wanted to experience health and healing from another perspective. Now I am learning to hold the knowledge of both Western and Eastern medicine to make my practice more complete and satisfying.” ~Jessica Enriquez, RN

Jessica Enriquez, student at Emperor’s College

About Jessica Enriquez: During her training and work as a nurse, Jessica continually sought ways to incorporate integrated medicine into her studies and practice.  Feeling limited by her nursing degree, she realized a master’s of Traditional Oriental Medicine degree would expand her scope of practice and allow her to work more comprehensively and holistically with patients. Through a combination of Eastern and Western medicine, Jessica has dedicated herself to improving the lives and health of others.

Want to know why Emperor’s College has such happy students and alumni? Check out this webinar for an in-depth presentation about our master’s program in traditional Oriental medicine.

Contact admissions

If you’re interested in learning more about what you will learn in acupuncture school and what a successful career in the growing field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine can look like, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Admissions Manager Lisa Kwan at lkwan@emperors.edu or (310) 453-8300 ext. 119.