Select Page
Ancient Remedies for Modern Lives
By +LisaRocchetti, Director of Admissions and Marketing

I have always held the belief that a healthy breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Even as a kid I remember being perplexed when teachers felt the need to bestow the virtues of a square morning meal; their endorsement seemed like common sense to me. And I would often wonder to which fictitious student they felt they needed to explain that a pop-tart did not qualify as sufficient sustenance.

But at some point I became aware that a lot of people do not partake in breakfast. While I still can’t wrap my head around how one can remember the numbers to their hallway locker combination, let alone how to drive a car, without more calories than in a cup of coffee and a sugary baked good, I continue to struggle to find my perfect breakfast routine.

When a Healthy Breakfast Fails

Lisa Rocchetti, Director of Admissions & Marketing

Before being exposed to the principles of natural medicine I would start my day with a container of flavored yogurt and an apple. Very healthy, I thought. But when my acupuncturist informed me that my struggle with chronic respiratory infections might be caused by my daily consumption of damp-producing dairy products, I started the search for a new healthy breakfast routine.

I turned to the comfort of an (almost) all-american classic: eggs and gluten-free toast. Delicious, long-lasting protein balanced with a little kick of ready-to-use carbohydrates. It was the epitome of comfort and nourishment and I was sure I had found a friend for life. But one sad day I received the results from my annual blood work to discover my cholesterol had been creeping up. Sorry eggs, but it was back to the drawing board.

The Chinese Medicine Secret to a Healthy Breakfast: Congee

So I picked up my trusted copy of Healing with Whole Foods with fingers crossed and searched for guidance. Luckily, I found just what I was looking for: congee!

Congee is a common dish from Asia that is slowly gaining popularity state-side. It is similar to porridge or oatmeal (neither of which typically appeal to me), but is delicious and chock-full of medicinal goodness if you follow the guidelines below. And most importantly it provides tons of morning nutrition, prevents cholesterol creepage and keeps the upper respiratory dampness at bay. Finally, the healthy breakfast I was looking for.

A Congee Recipe

Typically, a congee is made from 1 part rice or grain to 8 parts liquid and cooked for several hours. It is said the longer the cooking time, the more powerful and medicinal the congee becomes. I prefer to use a crock pot set on low to cook my congee overnight. Then when I wake up in the morning breakfast is waiting.

While there are a thousand and one ingredients you can add to congee depending on your preferences and needs, my go-to combination supports my immune system and delivers the energy I need for a full day of work at Emperor’s College.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup brown rice (easy to digest, increases qi, high in B vitamins so is beneficial for the nervous system)
  • 8 cups vegetable broth (flavorful and nutrient packed)
  • 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms (boosts immune function, decreases fat and cholesterol in the blood)
  • 2 round slices of fresh ginger (aids digestion)
  • 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed (promotes circulation, promotes healthy intestinal flora, inhibits viruses)
  • 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (adds flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon essential fatty acid (EFA) oil (supports thyroid and adrenal function, promotes healthy cardiovascular and nervous system)
  • chopped walnuts (supports mental and respiratory functions, reduces inflammation, provides high quality protein)
  • dried fruit (optional)

Directions:

• Put all ingredients except EFA oil, walnuts and fruit in a crock pot. Cook on low overnight or at least 4 hours. Just before serving stir in remaining ingredients.

Source: Healing with Whole Foods, Paul Pitchford

Want more health tips like these delivered straight to your inbox? Scroll up and to the right to get “Qi in your Inbox”.

Or hop on over to Facebook and Twitter and see what we’ve unearthed from the world wide web.